Dental implants are a form of artificial tooth root which is used to replace teeth that are missing or have been lost. It consists of a titanium screw which is inserted into the jawbone. This screw then fuses with the surrounding bone to form a strong bond, mimicking the function of real teeth. A custom made crown is then attached to the screw to restore a natural looking and functional tooth. In order to provide a long lasting and stable result, the entire process can take up to several months.
Implants can be used to replace a single missing tooth, several, or even all of the teeth.
A dental implant may be indicated to:
- Replace missing teeth, without affecting the adjacent teeth
- Restore the smile line and improve speech
- Restore and improve chewing function and balance the bite
- Prevent adjacent or opposing teeth from drifting into a gap
- Support a denture to improve retention and comfort